In a Radical Discipleship exclusive series, we are asking radical Christian leaders one question. What are the five books or authors that have seriously shaped your spiritual life? We asked Sarah Nahar, a recent recipient of the 2022 AMBS Alumni Ministry and Service Award. This is how she answered.
I actually read a lot of articles, short quotes, anthologies, and social media posts. That is where I get my spiritual digests from people I trust. But if I picked some books they would be:
1. Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza by Gloria Anzaldua
2. Justice and only Justice: A Palestinian Theology of Liberation by Naim Ateek
3. The Movement Makes Us Human: An Interview with Vincent Harding by Joanna Shenk
4. Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We’re in Without Going Crazy by Joanna Macy and Chris Johnstone
5. anything and everything by bell hooks, start with Feminism is for Everybody. Yes! This was a book that had a profound spiritual impact on me when I read it before entering college as part of the mandatory reading list.
Sarah Nahar, M.Div (from Elkhart, Indiana Potawatomi traditional land) is a PhD student at Syracuse University. Her research focus is on the toilet, both the ritual and receptacle. Other interests include working on dismantling the Doctrine of Discovery, community organizing, and capoeira.