From Mark Van Steenwyk of The Center for Prophetic Imagination, on the ground in Minneapolis.
Here are 10 ways to support the struggle for justice in Minneapolis.
1. Add your voice to this list of demands from Reclaim the Block and Black Visions.
2. Support the Minnesota Freedom Fund, a widely respected bail fund for those arrested in protests against oppression.
3. Support George Floyd’s family on GoFundMe.
4. Support the Black Visions Collective, a grassroots organizing group intent on improving the Cities for black communities.
5. Donate funds to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church. They are directing funds as need. When asked to choose a fund, select “Other” and simply type “Justice.”
6. Support the North Star Health Collective, who is providing street medics during this uprising.
7. Support Reclaim the Block, a group focusing on shifting municipal budgets away from the carceral state and towards needed social services.
8. Support MPD 150 a police abolition group working to support the ongoing institutional struggle to defund/abolish the police in Minneapolis and beyond.
10. Give food, supplies, and funding to CTUL, which is collecting (and giving out) food, formula, masks, household/cleaning supplies, and more. For a no-contact dropoff, leave resources at the door. 3715 Chicago Ave Minneapolis.
Besides these things, join your local protests to add your voice to the cries for justice. And pray, sharpen your compassion, and remain vigilant.